Organized by Albrecht Pagenstecher in 1866 and started by Frederich Wurtzbach in 1867, Pagenstecher Park is the site of the first successful wood pulp mill in the United States.
On Oct. 1, 1917 the land was purchased by Bernhard Hoffman of New York City, who conveyed it to the Laurel Hill Association.
In 1928 a small Park was created in which a small concrete and stone enclosure contains one of the original pulp grinding wheels. Through the generosity of Mr. Rudolph Pagenstecher, a bronze tablet was placed on it. The plaque reads:
THE FIRST WOOD PULP MILL IN THE UNITED STATES WAS ERECTED ON THIS SITE BY ALBRECHT PAGENSTECHER IN 1866. THE PULP GRINDERS IMPORTED FROM GERMANY WERE INSTALLED BY FRIEDERICH WURTZBACH
Size. 0.85 acres
Across from Train Hill Road, bounded by Route 183 on the west and the outflow stream from Stockbridge Bowl on the east. The old brick store is to the north
Starting at the Red Lion Inn, head west on Main Street/Route 102. Go about 2 miles to the Route 102/183 intersection (blinking light). Turn right/north onto Route 183. Go a mile and a quarter to Train Hill Road on the left (passing Averic Road, a small park and the Interlaken Fire Station along the way on the left.) Park at the base of Train Hill Road. Pagenstecher Park is across Route 183. Be careful of traffic on Route 183.