Lower Bowkers Woods is a cool, gently sloping stand in the oxbow of the Housatonic River. The railroad arcs east and west through the property. Just north of the railroad are the remnants of the old Berkshire Street Railway line. This property comprises three of several parcels acquired via trust from the will of Robert R. Bowker, one of the founders of the American Library Association. The parcels were conveyed to the Association on November 27, 1941.
Conservation Restriction. None. The deed does contain a right-of-crossing over the railroad.
Trails. (see Trails page for more information) The Lower Bowkers Woods Trail goes from the Glendale Middle Road north across the railroad tracks, and loops down to the oxbow of the Housatonic River. The western portion of the loop goes through fern beds. The eastern portion goes along the river bluff.
Size. 39.5 acres
South of and across the river from Butler Road and the Norman Rockwell Museum. Bounded on the north, northeast, and west by the Housatonic River oxbow, on the south by Glendale Middle Road, and on the southeast by private property.
Starting at the Red Lion Inn, head west on Main Street/Route 102. Continue straight onto West Main Street, across the golf course, and over the green bridge onto Glendale Middle Road. About a half mile on the right is a stand of woods with a rough stone wall. Park along the road.
Upper Bowker’s Woods
Rockwell Museum Grant
November 27, 1941
From the trust of Robert R. Bowker